Toronto, Ont. – The Ontario Hockey League today announced that 30 OHL players were selected in the seven rounds of the 2021 NHL Draft held virtually on July 23-24 representing approximately 13% of all 224 players picked by the NHL’s 32 teams.
The 30 OHL players have all played at least one game in the Ontario Hockey League, while an additional nine players selected in the 2021 NHL Draft have made commitments to join OHL clubs.
Peterborough Petes centreman Mason McTavish led the way, being selected third overall by the Anaheim Ducks in Friday’s first round. The OHL featured six players selected in the opening 32 picks, with Los Angeles Kings eighth overall selection Brandt Clarke giving the Barrie Colts the CHL’s longest active streak of four consecutive years producing a first round pick.
A total of 87 CHL players were chosen including 33 from the Western Hockey League, 30 from the Ontario Hockey League and 24 from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
By position, a total of 15 OHL forwards were selected, as well as 12 defencemen and three goaltenders. Among the OHL’s drafted players, 23 are selections born in 2003, five are late 2002-born picks (Chayka, Roger, Lennox, Montgomery, Vrbetic) and two are 2002 birth years in their second year of eligibility (Ottavainen, Cardwell).
18 of the OHL’s 20 member clubs had a player selected in 2021 led by the London Knights with four. The Sarnia Sting trailed with three players chosen followed by the Barrie Colts, Kingston Frontenacs, Kitchener Rangers, Ottawa 67’s, Peterborough Petes, Saginaw Spirit and Windsor Spitfires who each produced two. The London Knights maintained their record streak of players chosen annually since 1969, climbing into sole possession of first place for the most players chosen all-time with 188 to their credit.
21 of the NHL’s 32 teams added at least one OHL player with the San Jose Sharks leading the way with four selected. The Dallas Stars trailed with three while the Boston Bruins, Los Angeles Kings, Montreal Canadiens and Seattle Kraken each picked two.
Following the 2021 NHL Draft, a total of 2,440 OHL players have been selected since 1969, representing approximately 20% of all players chosen.
OHL Players Selected in the 2021 NHL Draft:
Click on player name below to watch pick announcement and media availability. More player interviews will be uploaded to ontariohockeyleague.com as they become available.
First Round (6 OHL Players):
3. Mason McTavish (Peterborough Petes) – Anaheim Ducks
8. Brandt Clarke (Barrie Colts) – Los Angeles Kings
16. Brennan Othmann (Flint Firebirds) – New York Rangers
23. Wyatt Johnston (Windsor Spitfires) – Dallas Stars
29. Chase Stillman (Sudbury Wolves) – New Jersey Devils
31. Logan Mailloux (London Knights) – Montreal Canadiens
Second Round (3 OHL Players):
38. Daniil Chayka (Guelph Storm) – Vegas Golden Knights
42. Francesco Pinelli (Kitchener Rangers) – Los Angeles Kings
49. Ben Roger (London Knights) – Ottawa Senators
Third Round (5 OHL Players):
67. Ryan Winterton (Hamilton Bulldogs) – Seattle Kraken
81. Ben Gaudreau (Sarnia Sting) – San Jose Sharks
85. Brett Harrison (Oshawa Generals) – Boston Bruins
93. Tristan Lennox (Saginaw Spirit) – New York Islanders
95. Josh Bloom (Saginaw Spirit) – Buffalo Sabres
Fourth Round (4 OHL Players):
99. Ville Ottavainen (Kitchener Rangers) – Seattle Kraken
105. Ethan Del Mastro (Mississauga Steelheads) – Chicago Blackhawks
121. Ethan Cardwell (Barrie Colts) – San Jose Sharks
124. Jack Matier (Ottawa 67’s) – Nashville Predators
Fifth Round (4 OHL Players):
135. Artem Guryev (Peterborough Petes) – San Jose Sharks
143. Jacob Holmes (Soo Greyhounds) – Dallas Stars
153. Ty Voit (Sarnia Sting) – Toronto Maple Leafs
156. Max McCue (London Knights) – San Jose Sharks
Sixth Round (6 OHL Players):
166. Pasquale Zito (Windsor Spitfires) – Detroit Red Wings
168. Jack Beck (Ottawa 67’s) – Calgary Flames
170. Bryce Montgomery (London Knights) – Carolina Hurricanes
175. Francesco Arcuri (Kingston Frontenacs) – Dallas Stars
178. Connor Lockhart (Erie Otters) – Vancouver Canucks
181. Ryan Mast (Sarnia Sting) – Boston Bruins
Seventh Round (2 OHL Players):
210. Braden Haché (Kingston Frontenacs) – Florida Panthers
214. Joe Vrbetic (North Bay Battalion) – Montreal Canadiens
Additional Players Committed to the OHL (9):
Rd. 2, 48 Ov. – Artyom Grushnikov (Hamilton Bulldogs) – Dallas Stars
Rd. 3, 78 Ov. – Alexei Kolosov (Erie Otters) – Philadelphia Flyers
Rd. 3, 82 Ov. – Dmitry Kuzmin (Flint Firebirds) – Winnipeg Jets
Rd. 3, 96 Ov. – Roman Schmidt (Kitchener Rangers) – Tampa Bay Lightning
Rd. 4, 110 Ov. – Brian Zanetti (Peterborough Petes) – Philadelphia Flyers
Rd. 5, 142 Ov. – Daniil Sobolev (Windsor Spitfires) – Montreal Canadiens
Rd. 6, 167 Ov. – Liam Gilmartin (London Knights) – San Jose Sharks
Rd. 6, 180 Ov. – Matvei Petrov (North Bay Battalion) – Edmonton Oilers
Rd. 7, 202 Ov. – Chandler Romeo (Hamilton Bulldogs) – Ottawa Senators
For more coverage of the 2021 NHL Draft, visit NHL.com.
About the Ontario Hockey League
The Ontario Hockey League is a proud member of the Canadian Hockey League which is the world’s largest development hockey league with 60 teams in nine Canadian provinces and four American states. In addition to the OHL, the CHL is made up of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League and the Western Hockey League. The CHL supplies more players to the National Hockey League and U SPORTS than any other league.