Toronto, ON – The Canadian Hockey League today announced the final results of the 2016 CHL Import Draft.
The 25th annual CHL Import Draft included a total of 79 players consisting of 53 forwards and 26 defencemen selected from 11 different countries featuring a draft-high 24 players from Russia.
The two-round draft took place online with the order of selection rotating through each of the CHL’s three leagues using an inverse order of final regular season standings within each league from the 2015-16 season.
The Kootenay Ice used the first overall pick to acquire Russian forward Klim Kostin. At over 6’3’’, 183lb, the 2017 NHL Draft prospect captained Team Russia to a silver medal at the 2015 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge and also competed at the 2016 IIHF World Under-18 Championship. The second and third overall picks are also Russian-born 2017 NHL Draft prospects and international competition teammates of Kostin including defenceman Dmitri Samorukov who went number two to the Guelph Storm, and forward Ivan Chekhovich who went number three to the Baie-Comeau Drakkar.
The 2016 CHL Import Draft featured 14 players previously selected by NHL teams in 2015 and 2016 drafts. Of that group, four players were selected in the first three rounds this past weekend in Buffalo including first round NHL pick German Rubtsov (Philadelphia) chosen 27th overall in the Import Draft by the Chicoutimi Sagueneens. Second round NHL picks selected by CHL clubs include Filip Hronek (Detroit) chosen 14th today by the Saginaw Spirit, and Janne Kuokkanen (Carolina) chosen 56th today by the London Knights. Third round NHL pick Linus Nassen (Florida) was chosen 59th overall today by the Brandon Wheat Kings.
A total of 51 players selected in the 2016 CHL Import Draft are eligible for the 2017 NHL Draft, while six players selected are not eligible for the NHL Draft until 2018.
Each team in the CHL is permitted to dress and play a maximum of two import players each season who are selected annually through the CHL Import Draft.
2016 CHL Import Draft Summary:
Draft Picks by Position:
Forward – 53
Defence – 26
Draft Picks by Country:
Russia – 24
Finland – 13
Czech Republic – 12
Sweden – 8
Belarus – 6
Slovakia – 4
Switzerland – 4
Latvia – 3
Denmark – 2
Germany – 2
Slovenia – 1
Draft picks by Birthdate and NHL Status:
1999-born late and 2018 NHL Draft eligible – 6
1999-born and 2017 NHL Draft eligible – 41
1998-born late and 2017 NHL Draft eligible – 10
1998-born and 2016 NHL Drafted – 9
1998-born and NHL Undrafted – 5
1997-born and NHL Drafted – 5
1997-born and NHL Undrafted – 3
NHL Draft picks in CHL Import Draft:
14. Filip Hronek (Saginaw – 2nd round to Detroit in 2016)
20. Jacob Moverare (Mississauga – 4th round to Los Angeles in 2016)
27. German Rubtsov (Chicoutimi – 1st round to Philadelphia in 2016)
28. Axel Jonsson-Fjallby (Prince George – 5th round to Washington in 2016)
31. Filip Ahl (Regina – 4th round to Ottawa in 2015)
34. Dmitry Zaitsev (Moose Jaw – 7th round to Washington in 2016)
36. Vasily Glotov (Cape Breton – 7th round to Buffalo in 2016)
40. Eetu Tuulola (Everett – 6th round to Calgary in 2016)
43. Rudolfs Balcers (Kamloops – 5th round to San Jose in 2015)
47. Filip Helt (Sarnia – 7th round to St. Louis in 2016)
56. Janne Kuokkanen (London – 2nd round to Carolina in 2016)
59. Linus Nassen (Brandon – 3rd round to Florida in 2016)
76. John Dahlstrom (Medicine Hat – 7th round to Chicago in 2015)
85. Joakim Blichfeld (Portland – 7th round to San Jose in 2016)
A total of 14 players acquired through the CHL Import Draft were recently selected in the 2016 NHL Draft including three first round picks. Olli Juolevi of the London Knights, a Finnish born defenceman, was chosen fifth overall by the Vancouver Canucks, followed by Swedish forward Alexander Nylander of the Mississauga Steelheads chosen eighth overall by the Buffalo Sabres, and Russian defenceman Mikhail Sergachev of the Windsor Spitfires chosen ninth overall by the Montreal Canadiens.
Last season a total of 78 players were selected from 14 different countries led by 21 players from Russia and consisting of 50 forwards and 28 defencemen.